Updated: Mar 28
I don’t know about you, but I thought that the enactment of a shelter-in-place order during spring break meant that I would FINALLY have the chance to focus on my exercise routine and get hot girl summer ready. However, with the realization that gyms are closed temporarily during this time, it dawned on me that I would actually have to workout from home. Pardon my French, but what the actual hell does working out from home even mean when the only piece of “equipment” I own is a cocktail shaker? Does shaking a Quarantini (equal parts Vodka and lemon juice with a hint of honey) count as a rigorous arm workout? This was a journey I was not prepared for, and I had so many questions...
Where do I start? What do I do with my limbs? Where’s the trainer who’s always yelling at me?
I would now have to muster all of my energy and motivation to get out of my very comfy pj’s and resurface from my latest Netflix binge watching session of Schitt’s Creek.
But don’t fret if you’re in the same position as I am, because The Pine Perspective team has been working tirelessly since lockdown to find the best activities that’ll help us reach our fitness goals TOGETHER. All I can say is, get ready, cuz you ‘bout to be stepping out of this quarantine looking like a pandemic goddess.
1. Walking. Guess it’s time to go back to the basics. Walking for just 30 minutes a day can improve your overall health and is perfect for any type of mood you’re in. If you’re feeling social, grab your fam or quarantine buddies and break a sweat. If you’re stuck at home with the fam and need an escape, walking is a great way to get that much needed social distance to clear your head.
2. Running “in-place”. Whether it be a leisurely jog around the neighborhood, or - based on local mandates - a jog around the living room table x30, ramping up the pace from walking can get you the cardio wake-up call your coffee wasn’t quite ringing. BONUS POINTS: try carrying your favorite (or least favorite) textbook as a weight as you climb up and down the staircase in between laps.
3. Workout for Women App. This is not a sponsored plug, but just a Pine Perspective favorite! These short, effective, and targeted exercise videos are everything you need to get those perfectly toned arms, washboard abs, and perky booty to get you swimsuit ready in no time. Download the app, try it out for free, and let us know what you think!
4. YouTube. Looking for a (virtual) workout friend? Find them through guided YouTube Zumba, HIIT, calisthenic class workout videos! We’re all in this together! (You can find that HSM classic on YouTube, too).
5. Dance Parties. Grab that hairbrush, turn on your fave playlist, and just jam out in your knickers in the bedroom, living room, and/or kitchen. Why wait for all the bars and clubs to reopen when you can rage from the comfort of your own home?
1. Mayo Clinic. Walking: Trim your waistline, improve your health. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/walking/art-20046261. Published Feb 27, 2019. Accessed March 27, 2020.